Saturday, March 26, 2011

Trials...


Trial:  the act of trying, testing, or putting to the proof.  This word pretty much sums up our upcoming move to Colorado.  For those of you who don’t know, we are planning to move somewhere in Colorado at the beginning of June.  For the past three months Andrew and I have both applied for probably 40 jobs a piece.  Andrew has heard back from only one and I have heard back from only two, which didn’t work out.  We have been placing so much importance on us finding jobs that it’s almost become like a god to us.  Last night, Jesus in His great kindness straightened us out a bit with this.  He told us, you’re doing it backwards.  You are trying to find security in what the world tells you to find security in.   We have made the pursuit of security an idol for the past three months.  Jesus said to us, “I am your security.”  Just like God told the Israelites to take the first step into the flooding Jordan river to cross it as God commanded, so he wants us to take that first step of faith into the river of our move to Colorado.  Now don’t get me wrong, we will definitely pursue jobs and hope to have them as we move, but that is not the ultimate goal.  Our ultimate goal is to work on our marriage and seek the Living God, jobs or no jobs.  If this is our heart’s desire, He will provide, even if it’s in a way I don’t see coming.
 He’s been pressing the verses James 1:1-4 on my heart so much recently.  “Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds; because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  I looked up the greek for the word trial and it is meant to be a way for God to prove our faith, the faith that He’s given us in trusting Him through any circumstance.  Like I said in my second post, He leads us into these times of trials.  Sometimes I don’t think I get the most out of my seasons of trials though.  I grumble and complain and think God’s not going to come through.  Whenever he does, I am amazed and humbled.  What if I started believing and living like this in the midst of all trials?  I think God would graciously give me more of himself and take me to even deeper into new levels of faith.  So, we are earnestly going to stand on His promises of provision and protection through this move and allow Him to show up and show off. 

1 comment:

  1. This gave me a total wake up call. I have been putting God into that little box that I like to put Him in, and not allowing Him to have total control! I needed this!

    ReplyDelete