Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fat cats, funerals, and windy roads...

3/24/11
Well, I’m back again.  Good to see you too.  So tonight I thought I would post a little about our life lately instead of a lot of weighty theological schmogical stuff.   And yes, I know “schmogical” is not a word, but you’ll have to use your imagination. HOWEVER, I will return with probably many more posts on spiritual gifts in the near future because God has been teaching me a lot about them. 

Since yesterday Andrew and I have had quite an adventure.  Today we decided to go hiking at Hawk’s Bill Craig.  It started off as a really great morning.  I had breakfast with my beautiful friend Rebekah at IHOP and then Andrew and I took my mom’s mini cooper out highway 45 headed toward the glorious town of Ponca, Arkansas.  We had somewhat of an idea of where the trail head was, but not quite enough.  Before we attempted to find it though, we stopped at the Ponca convenience store.  Here found no water, a cat weighing approximately 28 pounds, a store clerk that asked us to wash her car, and a man with a beard about as long as me.  Quite a stop, I know.   We then headed toward the trailhead, or so we thought.  We first turned onto a road that had a Baptist church where there was a funeral being held.  Let me tell you, you’ll get more than one look from a lady with a big hat and high heels at a Baptist church in Ponca, Arkansas if you pull in with a black mini cooper and no makeup.   We had no luck there, so on we went to the next road.  We felt like this could really be the one.  The road was about as wide as two mini coopers and a dirt one at that.  We passed several  SUV’s and trucks so we thought we were headed the right way.  But, after about 5 miles we started second guessing ourselves.   We were seeing houses or signs of civilizations only about every two minutes at this point.  It reminded me of the time I got lost in Chester, AR (about as glorious as Ponca) for a retreat with Sigma Phi Lambda sorority.  I ended up following this dirt road for probably 8 miles and when I reached the end I found a cabin with a man chopping wood and looking like he wanted to chop me.   I headed out of there pretty quick.  And this little adventure of trying to find the trail head reminded me a little too much of  psycho man with the ax.  We turned around as you can imagine.  Down the mountain we went.   We hiked at Lost Valley instead, which was great.  It wasn’t too humorous or adventurous, just good conversation with my wonderful husband and beautiful scenery.  When we got back home we looked up where exactly the trail head was.  Devastation and defeat were the two words that came to mind as Andrew told me that if we would have gone half a mile more we would have found the trail head.  Oh well, there’s always next time.  And honestly, the adventures one might have in Ponca, AR. are limitless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment